Tuesday, 12 August 2014

"To die would be a grand adventure"

I woke up today to the news that Robin Williams had passed. Shock, confusion and a great sadness crashed into me in waves, and to be honest I'm still trying to wrap my head around the world losing such a magnificent talent. Not only was he a brilliant actor, but an all-round wonderful human being.

Growing up in the 90s/early 00s, Robin Williams was a huge part of my childhood. Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire, Flubber, Aladdin... this man made me laugh more than any other actor. His body and face seemed so animated, his wit knew no boundaries, yet there was also a gentleness there which made me feel safe.

As I grew, I found Williams' other work just as, if not more, compelling; seeing Robin Williams in One Hour Photo really made me realise just how amazing the guy really was. I was watching the man I loved as a child play a complete psychopath, yet I wasn't horrified or disturbed, I was engrossed. Its a true testament to an actor when you don't see the actor in the film, instead you see only the character. In every film I have seen Williams in, he has fully immersed himself into the character, into the story, and that is what makes him a legend.

I knew very little of Robin Williams' battle with addiction and depression; the only things I knew were what I'd heard him joke about in various interviews. It's terrifying and deeply upsetting to think that his only escape from the demons that he battled was to leave this world, but we can all hope that he has found peace. Today I watched a lesser known film starring Williams named What Dreams May Come. The film tackles the subject of suicide, and I can only hope that Robin has made the journey into a safe and happy place - I do not believe in God or Heaven, but that doesn't mean that I cannot hope that this magnificent man has found peace.

My favourite Robin Williams film is Dead Poets Society. The message that each and every person should make their life extraordinary is a mantra which I firmly believe. I hope to fill every day with laughter and love.

So thank you Mr. Williams for making my childhood memories sweeter.

Good night, O' Captain, My Captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment