Tuesday, 17 June 2014

There's no place like home...

For many, Dorothy's famous words are the absolute truth. But for us recent graduates, home isn't as easily defined as one might think. I'm back in my hometown, in the house that I've lived in for 13 years, and yes it does feel like home. I mean, it is my home. But I have also spent the last 3 years living across the country making a life for myself with my boyfriend and friends. Suddenly this was ripped away from me, and though I'm more than grateful for having a loving place to come back to, home just isn't as appealing anymore. My freedom has been stripped, my love is miles away and I may never see half of my friends again. It's clear to see why your student days are the best days of your life, and I can't help but feel melancholy thinking about losing it all. 

The hardest part is being away from my boyfriend... Seeing each other once a month at most is the most difficult thing. I have to hold back the tears whenever I think about the distance and how much my heart aches from missing him. We have grand plans to one day move in together and more, and although I have no doubt that this will happen, it's hard when you're struggling to find a job and to save up money for this eventual future. 

Coming from the perspective of an English grad, I know how hard it is to base yourself in a career. Unless you're a miracle worker, publishing and journalism is an absolute fortress to break into, and for all those wondering the inevitable... NO! I do not wish to become an English teacher. No doubt my next few blog posts will be me moaning about finding work in a desolate, god-forsaken town where unemployment is strife, so apologies in advance. 

Peace,
Ally. X 

No comments:

Post a Comment